Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Odyssey is underway!

We have arrived, safe and sound. We reached our Hotel in Rome around 3.30pm and checked in without drama and are looking forward to a bite to eat and a good night's sleep!

Elaine, Ray, Deb at Tumbulgum
We had a good trip up to Nerang to catch the Airtrain. (Naturally) there was trackwork, however, we transferred to a bus at Trinder Park and made the airport about an hour earlier than we had planned. So really, it was "good" trackwork and turned out to set the standard for the rest of trip which passed without any delays on any leg. We left early enough to have a nice lunch at Tumbulgum with mum & dad (see picture at right) intended as a small thank you for driving us to catch the train. We made Nerang by about 2:40pm and since Kylie & Sharif were already waiting the 3pm train was caught rather than 3.30pm as planned (see picture below).

Sharif, Kylie, Deb & Steve
Had quite a wait at the airport until we could check-in, so browsed around the shops and had a bite to eat for dinner and a coffee. I picked up some first hand experience about why women have so many purses and handbags as I struggled to find something convenient and subtle to carry valuables and camera etc in. Too much haste before I left, and then with my initial choice at the airport, BUT eventually I did find just the right one! So several transfers of contents later, I was set and ready to fly without seeming like I had a nasty itch or was a dirty old man every time I needed to find something ... you can see by this next photo that Deb & Kylie were not the least concerned with my struggles.


Relaxed & sharing music.

Emirates was a very good carrier; reasonable amount of leg room, good food, very organised embarking and disembarking. Managed several hours sleep on the 14 hour leg to Dubai thanks to my only grumble - the only two screens on board that had the hiccups and crappy sound were mine & Deb's. So sleep we did. Arrived in Dubai around 6am Monday and could not believe how busy the airport was ... and it only got busier as our four hour transit passed. HUGE airport, but crazy busy and not my cup of tea at all - might as well be in a crowded suburban shopping mall (cranky old shit ... I thought I had gotten enough sleep). I think I have been too spoiled having access to Qantas Lounges!

We left on the shorter 6 hour leg to Rome, feeling vey weary but grateful that we were almost here (certainly puts the daily 15-20 mins to work into perspective). Caught up with a couple of movies, saw a LOT of sand and the mighty Nile from on high, had another good meal and arrived safe and sound around 1.30pm Monday. Then the usual exercise in patience clearing customs and baggage, though interestingly no paperwork to complete for customs so collect the bags and out the door. Caught a shuttle to the Hotel and here we are!

So for now, buonanotte ... tomorrow, Roma and the big red bus await!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to know the flights and connections all went smoothly and that you've arrived! Have fun,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete